Lean Whiskey Episode #29
Episode 29: “Yellow Cards, Coffee Cocktails, and a Barrel Down the Drain”
In Episode 29, it’s been a little while since Mark and Jamie got together for Lean Whiskey. We catch up on what’s new, which includes Mark’s new certification with distinction with the WSET Level 2 Spirits certification, and Jamie’s new side-hustle as a soccer referee. We return to making cocktails, this time building on our coffee theme from the pour-over edition of Episode 27. We both make coffee cocktails. Jamie is a whiskey espresso martini, equal parts bourbon, Kahlua, and freshly pulled espresso, shaken and served in a martini glass. Mark worked his way towards his own concoction, the Texas Revolver based on the Revolver cocktail using bourbon and coffee liqueur, but he used a couple of Texas-based brands and named it the Texas Revolver. We both follow our cocktails with some Glenn’s Creek Cafe Ole and discuss Mark’s lost barrel of bourbon.
We did In the News with a twist, building on our coffee theme we used something close to the Lean Coffee format and covered many news stories for 5 minutes each. These stories covered Starbucks as a talent pool, CEO pay and diversity, wage inflation, what work really needs to be in-person, people leaving the restaurant industry, and using lean to help get jabs in arms. There was no theme here, just two guys sitting around talking about the news from a lean thinker’s perspective.
After covering a lot of ground, Mark and Jamie look forward to the fall, including football. We hope you enjoy this episode. Please send Mark or Jamie questions, suggestions, or comments for our future discussions. Until next time, cheers!
- Mark’s WSET Level 2 Spirits certification
- Jamie’s retirement from coaching announcement and kickoff of a referee side-hustle
- Lean Coffee episode of Lean Whiskey, Episode #27
- Jamie’s new ECM Casa V espresso machine
- Jamie’s Town Branch bourbon used for the espresso martini
- Jamie’s Buzzopolis espresso blend from Whole Latte Love
- The base Revolver recipe that Mark started with
- Mark’s Texas Revolver included 2 oz Garrison Brothers Hye Rye Bourbon, 0.5 oz Caffe del Fuego Reserve, 3 dashes orange bitters, 0.25 oz Dry Curacao, and 3 dashes coffee bitters
- We both finished with David Meier’s Cafe Ole
- Mark’s My Favorite Mistake episode with David Meier
- The Lean Coffee method we somewhat followed
- News item #1: More U.S. companies tie CEO pay to diversity metrics
- News item #2: Wage Growth Among U.S. Job Switchers Increased 5.8 Percent Since June 2020 as Businesses Struggle to Attract Workers
- News item #3: Starbucks Is the New Talent Factory Powering Corporate America
- News item #4: When Do We Actually Need to Meet in Person?
- News item #5: How Lean Thinking and Practice Helped Put Shots in Arms, Part 1: Building the Process and Part 2: Wind-down and Reflection
- News item #6: Restaurants Will Never Be the Same. They Shouldn’t Be.
- Our college football schedules for tailgating at Lehigh and Northwestern
- Podcast feed at LeanWhiskey.com or leanblog.org/leanwhiskey or jflinch.com/leanwhiskey
Please review us and follow!